Friday, February 29, 2008

Article: DI Alex Drake's a sight for sore eyes

From The Mirror, February 18, 2008.

--

She's had a kicking from the critics, with some suggesting it was an inside job for Keeley Hawes and she even didn't audition for Ashes To Ashes.

But I can reveal that not only did she try out for the part of DI Alex Drake, she also had to audition looking like a pirate.

Keeley said: "I had to go and read for the part like everyone else. I had to meet Phil (Glenister) to see if we would hate each other.

"But I went with a big patch on my eye after I was scratched in the cornea by my nine-month-old son's nail. It wasn't my greatest moment.

"Then there was a wait - and it was quite a big build up with the scripts and meetings.

"By the time I was offered the part it was more, 'Thank God for that', rather than worrying about it."

And no-nonsense Keeley doesn't see herself as a sex symbol, despite wearing some pretty saucy outfits in Ashes.

She said: "It's just a label that people like to give you rather than something you think about yourself.

"I have three kids, so sex symbol status under my roof went out the window a while ago.

"It's flattering but I'd rather people concentrate on the show or Keeley's perm [Alex's perm?] or something."

So there you have it, DI Drake puts the frizz in the Fuzz, and she's a pretty arresting sight.

--

No comments: